Monday, July 12, 2010

July No Spend Month....Update No.1

Well, our no spend month is into its second week and this is much harder, and much more fun than I thought it would be.  So far we have spent more than I had hoped, but it has made me very aware of how things can and do creep up on us while we aren't looking and drain our checking accounts.  Here is where we stand after week one.

Total Money Spent Outside of Regular Budget $54.70
  • McDonalds $3.23 (Brutal!!  Big Daddy went through the drive through before he knew this was a no spend month)
  • Winn Dixie $45.57 (Brutal again!!! Big Daddy's turn to pick up groceries for work...they were BBQing for the 4th of July since they were working and he grabbed the groceries.)
  • Raising Canes $5.86 (Yep, you guessed it...Big Daddy in the drive through again)
I guess its pretty clear who our problem is huh??  LOL!!  But, in his defense these were all spendings when nothing else would really have worked because of our schedule.  Big Daddy is a shift worker, and it is much cheaper for us to let him run through the drive through when he works nights and for me and the kids to eat leftovers than it is for me to cook a big meal for him to take a plate.

On the flip side, I changed up my grocery spending this month as well just to see...since we were getting all crazy and stuff in July!!!  Instead of doing my regular shopping which is Winn Dixie (coupons in tow) once a week and Sams once a month I decided to stick with that plan, but I bought way more at Sams than I usually do and allowed 50% of my entire month's grocery budget go in day one of the month.  We will see how that pans out, but I think it may work.  This will make sure that we have food all month long and will keep me from over buying at Winn Dixie.  Clear as mud??  Let me explain...

Here is our grocery budget (that as anyone who knows me knows, I rarely follow, read here for more).

Total grocery budget for one month $400.00
  • $100.00 each week at Winn Dixie and/or Target (I HATE WALMART)
  • Anything under the $100.00 I spend per week adds up as "extra" and I go to Sams at the beginning of the following month.
  • However, in reality I go to Sams anyway regardless of the "extra" or lack of!
This month here is what I have tried with my $400.00 grocery budget
  • $213.00 at Sams on July 5th
  • $187.00 remaining in the grocery budget for the month of July
  • So far all I have spent of that $187.00 is $4.00 for a gallon of milk.
  • This should be plenty and we will have a freezer full of food to roll into next month...we shall see!
I will give my next update next Monday! I know that I had said Fridays in the beginning, but the next few Fridays are really hectic for me so Mondays will work better!!!  Hold me accountable my bloggy friends!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and read every one...so thanks so much for leaving me a little note!!

You may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...