- Do you feel guilt about not living up to your own image of the perfect mom? Do you second guess your mothering or think you're not doing a good enough job?
- Do you worry about your child - about whether his workload/schedule is just too much?
- At your parent-teacher conference, do you find yourself asking more about your kids' grades...than how he gets along?
- Are you frequently stressed or exhausted or impatient with your family? Does the littlest, tiniest thing get under your skin? Are you quick to anger? Are you yelling more?
- Are you on the coach's case complaining that your child isn't getting enough game time?
- Has success become such a huge commodity in your family that your kids are afraid to let you down or disappoint you with a poor grade?
- Do you worry that you kids seems really anxious or depressed?
- Do you worry when your kids seems to have nothing to do, and feel as though you have to educate or entertain him every second of the day?
- Do you always compare yourself frequently to other moms and worry that they're doing a better job than you are? (p. 21)
Okay, if you answered yes to ANY of the questions, it's time to make some changes!! YES TO ANY OF THEM I SAID...that was not a typo!! WHOA!! Which ones do you relate to?? Are you ready to change?? This book will help you. This was a hard test for me because it really showed me that I have gone overboard into Motherhood Mania land which is light years from where I want to be in June Cleaver land!!! I have all of my "yeses" in purple so that you can see where I struggle.
Back it up just a minute though, I mean really whatever happened to June? I could have so been June's next door neighbor. Me with my little white apron and my big blue Cadillac. SO ME!! You know that perfect kitchen with the warm cookies and a mail man that knows you! I could so be there. So what happened to that MOTHER?? Its what we all want isn't it?? Look how much mothering has changed just since our moms were raising kids?? Light years, huh??
That is what we will talk about tomorrow as we begin Chapter 2. Here is a teaser...
What Happened To Pat-A-Cake and Peek-A-Boo?
When Did Mothering Become a Billion-Dollar Profit Center?
How did We Get From June Cleaver to Motherhood Mania?
The Urge to Be Supermom
All that is tomorrow, so please reflect on what you have written in your journals and have some quiet time looking at being ready to make some simple choices that will help us to give a love to our children that will...last for always.
See you right back here in the morning and remember if you have a friend that you think will benefit...send her on our way!!