Sunday, September 11, 2011

We will never forget...

September 11, 2001.

Where were you??

I have been told that people old enough to understand what was happening on that day will never forget where they were and what they were doing when our country was attacked.

I remember where I was.  I was in our very first house.  I was in the living room feeding my baby girl who was about to turn 1 (and is now about to turn 11) some oatmeal for breakfast.  Dora the Explorer was on tv (before they decided to make her a tween....big mistake Nick).  The sun was beating in our front door window, that is what it did every morning.  Our border collie Shae, that we still have today laying in her favorite corner of the living room.  My phone rang and it was Big Daddy who wanted to know if I was watching the news.  Of course I wasn't, so he told that that a plane had just flown into the World Trade Center "on accident".  I remember putting in on Good Morning America only to see the live footage of the 2nd plane flying into the building while they talked about the first plane doing it.  I will never forget.

 

Life changed forever on September 11, 2001 for us as Americans but for so many men and women, husbands and wives, brothers and sisters, daughters and sons.  So many people never came home that day.  So many lives shattered.  I will never forget those families.

On September 10, 2001 life was NORMAL!!!  George W was President and life was good.  Did I just say that out loud???  There was no such thing as smart phones, text messaging, facebook, twitter, or even blogs.  We had cell phones for emergencies and desktop computers to type papers for school.  Email was something only office workers had, and there wasn't an i anything.  No ipod, itouch, ipad, or iphone.  And there was no such thing as terrorism, like we know it today.  I had no idea where Afghanistan was on a map, had no idea that people hated Americans, never had heard of Islam, and certainly had no clue of extremist groups who would harm themselves for their ridiculous cause.  I will never forget.

 

And on that September 11th morning, I went to Walmart as fast as I could (back then they were few and far between) and bought and American flag for our house and our cars.  I loved my country and I wanted everyone to know it. That feeling I will never forget.

And now today 10 years later, I remember of all the lives that have been changed.  All of the families who sacrifice their husbands and wives, moms and dads for the greater good of our country every day.  The wives who haven't held their husband's hands in months or years but talk every night on Skype from Afghanistan.    All of the children who have never met their dads because they are serving our country.  All of the families whose soldiers are not going to ever come home.  On this day, I remember your family.  I thank your family for the huge sacrifice you make for our country so that we can be free and safe.  From the bottom of my heart to all of the soldiers, government officials, airport staff, taxi drivers, subway workers, security guards, police officers, and firemen who work every day to make sure 911 doesn't happen again, I say thank you!!!  Your work is immeasurable and my gratitude is too.  I will never forget the sacrifice you make!!!  We will never forget!!!

What man intends for evil, God will use for good.  Genesis 50:20

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and read every one...so thanks so much for leaving me a little note!!

You may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...